Janome sure nailed it when designing the Jem Gold 660. Weighing just 12 lbs. this compact, portable sewing machine comes with the complete functionality that you would usually only expect to see in a full-sized machine.
Highlights of the Janome Jem Gold 660
Stitch Features: You may not all the fancy stitches that you see in other models from but then, this is a ¾ size sewing machine that does not claim to be anything else. The 12 built in stitches are carefully included to keep the weight of the machine down while still covering all your basic sewing needs. A turn of a dial displays all the stitch patterns on the front of the machine for easy reference. Stitches include:
- 4 Straight stitches for mending, gathering, basting and stretch straight stitch
- 3 Zigzag stitches with length adjustable to up to 4 mm and width adjustable to up to 5 mm
- 2 Blind hem options – regular blind hem and stretch blind hem
- Shell tuck
- 4-step buttonhole stitch
Drop-In Bobbin System with Transparent Bobbin Cover: The easy-loading drop-in bobbin system is made even simpler with the use of magnetic housing that offers one of the easiest bobbin threading sets ups you are likely to find in any sewing machine. The transparent bobbin cover lets you see how much thread is left on the bobbin before you begin sewing.
Easy Threading with Adjustable Top Thread Tension: A lay in threading guide and automatic needle threader make threading the machine a snap and a dial located near the lay-in tension slots makes it easy to regulate the top thread tension. The horizontal positioning of the spool helps prevent the thread from knotting or breaking.
Presser Feet: Janome Jem gold 660 comes with 3 snap on presser feet – general purpose for regular sewing; buttonhole foot for use when sewing the 4-step buttonholes and an overedge foot for holding the fabric in as needed when using the overcast stitch. Presser feet cannot be adjusted. However the extra-up setting on the height lever helps you sew over multiple layers of heavyweight fabric.
Other User Friendly Features
- Thread cutter is conveniently positioned at the needle arm so when you are done, all you need to do is slip the fabric out and to the left and snip off the extra thread
- Maximum speed of 650 stitches minutes helps you gain even control over your sewing project
- A work lamp located above the needle makes it easy to see what you are working on irrespective of the lighting conditions around you
- Free arm sewing is convenient for sewing collars, cuffs and pant hems while also providing a place to hold accessories
- The reverse stitch is sturdy, solid and simple to use
- Lightweight and compact with full functionality. Ideal for traveling and for beginning sewers
- Lots of user friendly features
- Low price of less than $200
Many users complain about the limited number of stitches but it’s not really a valid point. This is being marketed as a basic, lightweight, portable machine and the few stitches that it does feature offer a lot of versatility between them.
The Janome Jem Gold 660 is simple to operate, sturdy and affordable. Though basic, it offers full functionality and is perfect for travelling as well as for newbie sewers.